Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Voice

Got my copy of The voice New testament and I don't much like it, it just doesn't read or flow like many other versions of the Bible do - I realize this is supposed to be more to update but still... Maybe it will grow on me as I refer to it more and get a better grasp of it. Here's John 3:16 from The voice, ESV, KJV, and NIV:
(Voice) - For God expressed His love for the world in this way: He gave His only Son so that whoever believes in Him will not face everlasting destruction, but will have everlasting life.
(KJV) - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
(ESV) - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
(NIV) - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Call me a traditionalist, but I just don't much care for modern language translations that are quite that different sounding.
Another thing that bugs me about this translation is the way it's divided into sections of who is talking. John 3 has Nicodemus and Jesus speaking back and forth and it's divided with headers so that you know exactly who is speaking but I think this detracts from scripture, it doesn't flow well in this fashion. I also don't like having the notes in the middle of reading scripture, notes are helpful but like other translations, should be at the bottom of the page.
All in all, this is a translation of Scripture and is useful in learning more about God. I will continue perusing this translation and maybe it will grow on me.

No comments: